Thursday, September 11, 2014

zebra aka. psychedelic cake

Confession: I am a baking disaster. There were times when I only needed to stand in a room next to an experienced baker and everything would go terribly wrong for no particular reason. My sheer present was enough. Needless to say that my own attempts at baking were pretty disastrous as well. But I still love to bake.

I tried to cure my baking-disability by trying the easiest recipes I could possibly find. And all of the sudden what I baked was eatable. Yay!

Long story short, I want to share my latest baking success with you. It is called a zebra cake - or like my boyfriend calls it "psychedelic cake". I got the original recipe from ichkoche.at. There are tons of recipes and even videos online. I felt very bold that day and altered the recipe slightly and it still worked. ;)



 

 



Ingredients I used:
-      5 eggs
-      150 g sugar
-      1 pack (8 g) vanilla sugar
-      125 ml Water
-      250 ml vegetable oil
-      300 g flower
-      75 g ground almonds
-      2 tablespoons sweetened cocoa powder
-      1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
-      1 pack (8 g) baking powder
-      a pinch of cinnamon

Preparation:
Preheat your oven at 160°C and grease a 24cm round cake pan.
 
Separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Mix egg yolk, sugar and vanilla sugar together until frothy. Then add water, vegetable oil, flower, ground almonds, baking powder and cinnamon. Carefully fold in the beaten egg white. Done. Not it's time for layering. Separate halve the batter into a separate bowl.
 
Add the sweetened and unsweetened cocoa powder to one of the bowls and mix it in.
 
Use two tablespoons for each batter to create the layers of batter in the pan. Start by putting two tablespoons of white batter in the middle of the pan. (I used the second spoon to whipe off the spoon full of batter.) Then put two tablespoons of chocolate batter in the middle of the white batter and repeat this step until all batter has been used.
 
Bake for 60 minutes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment